Covid-19 Risk Management & FAQs
We’ve updated our current industry-leading approach to safety and risk management with additional pre-trip preparation requirements, in-field management, detailed response plans, and train our staff on risk factors, prevention measures, and response protocols to minimize risks associated with COVID-19. Our strict adherence to these protocols enabled us to run international travel programs for hundreds of students during the summer of 2021 without a reported COVID-19 incident.
Global Glimpse’s COVID-19 recommendations and policies are developed and consistently reviewed in partnership with our Medical Director, our in-country program partners, and in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control, the World Health Organization, and government offcials. The entire Health & Safety Team at Global Glimpse is fully committed to monitoring the global situation and making changes as necessary to keep our students, staff, and community partners as safe as possible.
ENHANCED RISK MANAGEMENT
The safety of Global Glimpse participants is a top priority, and we have developed additional procedures to assess and minimize the risks associated with COVID-19.
Our practices address risk management in three critical phases:
#1. Minimize the risk of COVID-19 before the program begins:
- Establish clear criteria for program cancellation due to elevated COVID -19 outbreaks
- Request all participants abide by precautionary measures such as physical distancing and use of face coverings during the 14 days prior to travel
- Require all students & chaperones to provide proof of up-to-date COVID-19 vaccination series at time of departure
- Prohibit participants with COVID-19 symptoms, a positive COVID PCR test, or those who have been in close to contact with someone experiencing COVID-19 like symptoms from participating in the program
#2. Reduce risk of COVID-19 during the program:
- Conduct daily health screenings
- Require physical distancing and the use of face coverings
- Conduct the majority of the program in outdoor settings
- Limit group sizes during certain activities and take numerous other precautionary measures
#3. Respond diligently to any COVID-19 incidents:
- Follow strict Personal Protection Equipment protocols during first aid and care
- Isolate the participant from the rest of the group
- Activate our Emergency Response System and secure testing following the directions of local health services and our global Health & Safety Team
- Create quarantine conditions as necessary
For more details, please see Additional COVID-19 Policies & Logistics FAQs below.
GENERAL TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS & PROTOCOLS
Requirements for international travel are still in flux. Global Glimpse will monitor and update country-specific travel requirements below and notify participants of major changes that could impact their travel plans or preparations.
Following CDC guidance and the Biden Administration’s Executive Order on Travel Safety issued on January 21st, participants must wear masks when using public transportation, in airports, and on airplanes. This federal requirement is in addition to Global Glimpse’s requirement that participants wear masks on the trip. Please see Additional COVID-19 Policies & Logistics FAQs below for more details.
Participants are expected to take precautionary measures to avoid exposure to COVID-19 before and during travel. Global Glimpse Leaders will be traveling with students on group flights and GG Leaders and students will be expected to wear masks, practice social distancing and regularly sanitize their hands throughout the duration of the flight and to and from the airport.
Due to the ongoing changes in country-specific entry requirements and the potential of further evolution of the Covid-19 pandemic, Global Glimpse requires all students and staff to be up-to-date with a full vaccination series for COVID-19 at the time of departure and provide documentation prior to traveling with Global Glimpse in 2022. Please see COVID-FAQs for additional vaccine considerations.
Return Travel to the U.S.
Testing & Re-Entry
Starting on December 6, 2021, air travelers aged two and older, regardless of nationality or vaccination status, are required to show documentation of a negative viral test result taken within one day of the flight’s departure to the United States before boarding. Alternatively, travelers to the U.S. may provide documentation from a licensed health care provider of having recovered from COVID-19 in the 90 days preceding travel.
Global Glimpse will facilitate this testing in-country for our students as part of the regular itinerary. A positive result from a single participant may affect the travel for the entire group of participants, in addition to the potential negative health risks to the individual with the virus. For this reason, and for the well-being of all participants, we ask every participant to be prepared to strictly adhere to our COVID-19 prevention practices before and during the trip.
Costa Rica Travel Requirements
Testing & Entry
- A negative COVID-19 test is not currently required for entry to Costa Rica.
- Global Glimpse requires proof of US medical insurance for travel on its programs
- Global Glimpse enrolls all its students in a travel insurance policy through University Health Plans which is included in your tuition costs and satisfies Costa Rica’s travel insurance entry requirements.
- Effective August 1, Costa Rica will allow entry without travel insurance to minors under 18 years of age and adult tourists fully vaccinated against COVID-19 with Moderna, Pfizer-BioNTech, AstraZeneca, and Johnson & Johnson vaccines. In the case of visitors from the United States, the “COVID-19 vaccination record card” will be accepted.
- Visitors traveling to Costa Rica who are not vaccinated will need to provide proof of a medical insurance policy to cover any COVID-19 related medical treatment or quarantine lodging while in Costa Rica.
- If the policy originates from an insurer outside of Costa Rica, travelers must request from the insurer a certification issued in English or Spanish, noting:
- The validity of the policy during the dates of visit to Costa Rica
- Guarantee of coverage for medicals expenses in cases of COVID-19 related medical treatment in the amount of 50,000 USD
- A minimum coverage of 2,000 USD for extended lodging expenses due to COVID-19 related illness.
- It is also possible to purchase a Costa Rican medical insurance policy through the Sagicor of Costa Rica, covering the duration of your stay in Costa Rica.
- All visitors who are not vaccinated must also complete an online Health Pass (pasa de Salud) 48 hours prior to travel to Costa Rica
- The Health Pass can be found at https://salud.go.cr
- For minor participants, this should be filled out by parents / legal guardian
Ecuador Travel Requirements
Testing & Entry
- Proof of a negative COVID-19 RT-PCR test taken no more than three (3) days before entering Ecuador is required for entry AND;
- A COVID-19 vaccination card showing the traveler received a complete series of the COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to entering Ecuador; AND;
- A declaration of traveler health (the declaration is available on the Ministry of Public Health website).
Dominican Republic Travel Requirements
Testing & Entry
- Negative COVID-19 tests (PCR and/or serology) are not currently required to enter the Dominican Republic.
- COVID-19 rapid tests are performed on randomly selected travelers upon arrival.
Temperature checks may be implemented on arrival or departure by Dominican authorities.
- All visitors must also fill out a Health Declaration prior to traveling to the Dominican Republic. The Health Pass can be found at: https://eticket.migracion.gob.
do/. For minor participants, this should be filled out by parents / legal guardian.
Additional COVID-19 Policies & Logistics FAQs
How is Global Glimpse designing Summer 2022 programs in response to COVID-19?
- Global Glimpse will work on all measures possible to reduce the risk of exposure to COVID-19 but cannot guarantee it. We have developed a thorough response plan in the event of a positive case and will work tirelessly to minimize the spread and ensure access to health care if needed.
- The Global Glimpse Health & Safety team has developed COVID-19 recommendations and policies in partnership with our Medical Director, in-country program partners, and in accordance with the CDC and our trusted global agency network. Due to the fluctuating COVID-19 situation, policies may be adapted in accordance with the most current safety standards and best practices and families will be notified of any updates.
- We’ll increase spacing in vehicles where possible. Face coverings will be required by participants, staff, and drivers while traveling in accordance with current safety standards and best practices.
- Once on the trip, we’ll monitor participant and instructor health and well-being daily.
- We’ll increase cleaning and sanitization of shared surfaces and spaces including vehicles, dining facilities, eating utensils/cookware, bathrooms, lodging facilities, and group equipment.
- We’ll take advantage of our outdoor classrooms and open spaces when possible to spread out for lessons and activities. Participants will also wear face coverings in accordance with current safety best practices. We’ll also enforce physical distancing when eating and work with food providers to practice excellent hygiene including but not limited to wearing masks and gloves while preparing food.
What happens if I or someone else tests positive for COVID-19 while on a trip?
- While we practice transmission prevention methods on our trip, the nature of our travel, activities, and pod-style program model will likely result that the entire group would be considered a “close contact” and be required to isolate in mandatory quarantine for at least 8 days until the local health ministry provides clearance to travel.
- In this case, Global Glimpse would continue to facilitate logistics, monitor the health and well-being, and support the group until they are able to return home. Costs associated with quarantine and extended stay would be passed on to participants, which is why we recommend and enroll all families in travel insurance that covers the costs of extended trip quarantine and medical care from COVID-19 exposure.
- If any participant produces a positive COVID-19 test, whether or not they are exhibiting symptoms, we will activate our monitoring and quarantine response protocol. Any student with a positive test will be immediately isolated, a detailed record of their symptoms will begin to be recorded, and the Global Glimpse Medical Director will be notified. The student will be given their own room away from other students and a trained staff member will bring them all meals and attend to any need they may have. If safe, they will also be offered the opportunity to get outside and spend time in nature recovering away from other students. At this time, all other volunteers and staff members will also receive a COVID-19 test if they have not already. We will be in close communication with families and our Global Glimpse Medical Director to determine the best course of treatment and clinical environment for each student.
- COVID-19-positive students will be required to complete an individual isolation according to best practices from health officials and the Global Glimpse Medical Director at the time of the program.
- In the case of known exposure, families will be notified immediately and be kept up to date with any developments or changes.
- In the event the symptoms become severe or require medical treatment, the participant will be taken to a vetted private hospital and/or clinic for treatment.
Should I consider traveling this summer if I have a pre-existing health condition?
What preventative measures will Global Glimpse follow?
- All Global Glimpse staff and instructors will complete rigorous COVID-19 prevention and management training.
- The following practices will also be established to maximize the prevention of COVID-19 exposure:
- Participants will have hand sanitizer and cleaning supplies available for use at all times
- Partners and vendors will be informed of the necessary steps to meet additional cleanliness and hygiene expectations
- We’ll ask partners and vendors to wear face masks and practice physical distancing when interacting with the group
- We will not be doing activities where exposure to the public or physical distancing with the public cannot be adequately managed. This may include eating in restaurants, certain service-learning and community engagement activities, and recreational activities.
- All participants will be required to provide documentation of their completed series of COVID-19 vaccination prior to traveling.
- Participants with COVID-19 symptoms, positive COVID PCR test, or those with close contact with those experiencing COVID-19 like symptoms, will not be able to participate in the program.
- We will ask all participants to practice physical distancing and use of face coverings during the 14 days prior to their trip departure
What happens if I am on a Global Glimpse program and the situation becomes unsafe due to the spread of COVID-19?
What if someone develops COVID-19-like symptoms on course?
- By monitoring the health of all participants daily, we aim to catch any potential communicable disease quickly.
- Once detected, we will take the following steps:
- Immediately isolate the participant from the rest of the group
- Activate our emergency response system and initiate a plan to get the participant tested for COVID-19 following the directions of the local health services
- Maintain the isolation of the participant until test results are received
- If positive, we will activate our monitoring and quarantine response protocol and we’ll follow the directions of the local health services and our Medical Director and continue to provide support for the participant and the group as needed. In the case of known exposure, families will be notified immediately and be kept up to date with any developments or changes.
- If negative, the participant will be allowed to rejoin the group
- Continue to closely monitor the rest of the group for symptoms
- Ensure that all hygiene and cleaning protocols are being followed closely and that social distancing practices are being implemented as advised
What is Global Glimpse's COVID-19 vaccination policy?
Important Vaccine Considerations:
- At this point, full up-to-date vaccination includes two doses of Moderna/Pfizer vaccines or one of Johnson & Johnson’s.
- Although COVID-19 vaccines remain effective in preventing severe disease, recent data suggest their effectiveness at preventing infection or severe illness diminishes over time, and the need for a booster shot is becoming highly recommended. Read here for CDC guidelines. At this point, we are not requiring booster vaccines but will continue to monitor the guidelines of medical experts and make adjustments as necessary.
- Given the potential impact on student safety, our local communities, and programming logistics, Global Glimpse is not accepting any religious or medical exemptions to our vaccination requirements.