GLOBAL EDUCATION ALUMNI INTERN
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for one or two motivated Global Glimpse alumni to join our team as interns this summer during our most exciting time of year, when we organize programs for hundreds of high school students to travel to the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, or Costa Rica!
The interns should be passionate about equity, education, and creating opportunities for young people from all backgrounds to travel. The interns will work remotely with Global Glimpse staff across the country to support essential travel season operations, launch new organizational initiatives, and grow the greater Global Glimpse community.
The Global Education Alumni Internship offers practical opportunities for professional and personal development, mentorship from Global Glimpse staff, and practical skill-building experience at an entrepreneurial non-profit organization.
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
We are looking for interns who bring diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives and will contribute to our culture and bring strengths in the following areas to their work:
To apply, you must have participated in a Global Glimpse program and have graduated from high school. Current high school seniors are not eligible to apply.
- Proud Global Glimpse Alumni: You had a meaningful Global Glimpse experience, and you are eager to pay forward the opportunity to high school students to travel abroad this summer.
- Expert Communicator: You communicate clearly and effectively, understand who needs to know what, and adapt the message accordingly. You also communicate proactively, setting up the recipient with enough time for them to be able to use the information shared.
- Collaborator: You have strong emotional intelligence and are adept at working with people from different backgrounds, including not only Global Glimpse staff members around the world but also your fellow intern if there is another.
- Dependable: You are present, you do your best, and you always have the outcome in mind. You are the type of person that if you choose to do something, you are all in. You are highly organized, you like to prepare in advance, and you have the ability to work independently.
- Self-Aware: You have a growth mindset and model a culture of continuous improvement by seeking out feedback from others. After completing a given task, your first thought is to focus on which aspects to stop, start, and continue to make it even better next time.
- Connected to our Mission: You are interested in approaching topics, whatever they may be, from an international perspective. You see your work with Global Glimpse as a natural progression for yourself based on your career goals.
OTHER IMPORTANT CHARACTERISTICS:
- Ability to juggle several projects at once
- Access to a quiet place to be able to work and attend video meetings
- Knowledge of the K-12 education system
- Experience working with youth is a plus
- Familiarity with Google Workspace and Salesforce is a plus
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
A TYPICAL DAY IN THIS ROLE
You kick off a typical day by reviewing your calendar and ensuring you are prepared for any upcoming meetings. You join the all-staff meeting where you participate in a teambuilding activity getting to know your colleagues, share updates on the projects you are working on with the whole team, and learn about how each department coordinates with others.
After that, you dive into one of the long-term projects, working independently. Examples of long-term projects include performing a market analysis of potential new partners for Global Glimpse, creating a social media campaign of profiles on other Global Glimpse alumni, or updating curriculum for Global Glimpse school year programming. The projects you will work on will be determined by the specific needs for this summer.
In the afternoon, you meet with a member of the US Programs team to interview them about their professional journey and day-to-day work experience, and to learn about the details of a new project you will be working on with them for the next two weeks. Examples of short-term projects include joining a hiring team to interview potential new members of the Global Glimpse full time staff or creating updated materials to make Global Glimpse scholarships easier to understand and more accessible to all students and families.
You close the day by finishing one part of a long-term project and sending it to your primary manager for review in advance of presenting it to the full team later in the week. Every day is different in this dynamic role!
ABOUT GLOBAL GLIMPSE
Global Glimpse provides travel, leadership, and global learning opportunities to high school students from diverse backgrounds. Our programs develop empathy, agency, and global perspective, empowering a new generation of young leaders with the skills they need to succeed in college and careers and drive change in their communities.
We bring high school students from different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic backgrounds together through shared experience, and since 2008 we have served over 7,500 students and 550 educators across 100 US high schools and provided over $13M in scholarships.
Our people are everything at Global Glimpse and we invest significant time, focus, and resources to building the best environment possible for our team to thrive and make an impact. At Global Glimpse you can expect to find a culture that reflects our values:
- Access & diversity are at the heart of our work
- We humbly strive for excellence
- We communicate with honesty & transparency
- We are growth-minded & solutions-oriented
- We are both mission-driven & business savvy
- Location: Global Glimpse has a remote culture with staff across the country and around the world. This role is fully remote, but the intern must be willing to work within normal business hours (9am – 5pm) in one of the following time zones: PT, MT, CT, or ET.
- Start & End Dates: The ideal start date is Tuesday, May 30, 2023, and the ideal end date is Friday, August 25, 2023 (12 working weeks plus 1 week of vacation). However, we encourage you to apply even if these exact dates do not meet your availability! We would be willing to have an intern start in early May or continue into September. It is more important to us to have the right person than to have them at the ideal time.
- Hours: This contract role is part-time. The intern will be expected to work three 8-hour days during the week, one of which will be Tuesday, when the weekly Global Glimpse all-staff meeting takes place.
- Independent Contractor & Compensation: The summer intern will be retained as an independent contractor and not an employee of Global Glimpse. Payment for the contract position is $1500. Global Glimpse shall not withhold, from sums becoming payable to the contractor, any amounts for State or Federal Income Tax or for FICA (Social Security) Taxes, during the term of this contract position. *Global Glimpse will also provide a round trip flight certificate valued at $1,350 to travel anywhere in North America (Alaska & Hawaii excluded), Central America, or the Caribbean.
- Application Process:
- Submit your application through Jotform (linked below).
- Participate in a first-round phone interview with the hiring manager.
- Participate in a final video interview with the hiring manager and 1-2 other stakeholders.
- Deadline: Applications received by Monday, April 3, 2023 will receive preferential review. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled.
Global Glimpse is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our team should both reflect and understand the diversity of backgrounds, identities and experiences of the students and community partners that we serve. We know that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.
HEAR FROM PAST GLOBAL EDUCATION ALUMNI INTERNS
“Throughout my time in the Global Education Alumni Internship, I have been continuously reminded of the program’s impact and the spark it lights in young future leaders. I have grown professionally in many ways. I am more organized, I write more structured and professional emails, I am better at asking for help. Personally, I have been inspired by the many stories I have heard, the many tips I have received, the advice I have been given, and I have been moved to be more grateful and intentional.“
Aileen Flores, Former Global Education Intern
“The Global Education Alumni Internship allows alumni to learn about a different side to Global Glimpse. I enjoyed the work environment and how inclusive everyone was. I feel like I learned the importance of networking and maintaining a good relationship with people I work with (whether in college or in the professional environment). I also learned to effectively communicate with others, and adapt to different situations.“
Yumei Huang, Former Global Education Intern
“This entire experience reaffirmed my passion to work with an organization/company that works diligently to create a work environment that values inclusion, diversity, and the well-being of its team. I felt that the connections I made with staff members are life-long and these individuals will always be part of my network. This is not a feeling I had really experienced in a previous internship. Also, I gained new skills and experiences that will be amazing to add to my resume and will make for great points of conversation with future recruiters.”
Devyn Lopez, Former Global Education Intern
“I got a lot more out of it than expected. In the beginning, I thought the internship would be like any other job, but by the end, I got a lot of career and emotional support. Personally, I made a lot of connections and learned new things to look for in a company. Professionally, I got a taste of many business functions and terminology. If you become this year’s intern, remember you are only there for a short amount of time, so learn as such as you can about the company, talk to as many people as you can, and say yes to opportunities and projects even if you have never done anything similar before.”
Samara Smith, Former Global Education Intern
“My internship with Global Glimpse was an extremely rewarding experience. From working with the wonderful staff to partaking in many interesting projects, I am grateful to have had the opportunity to be a Global Education Intern. I’ve also improved my communication, editing, and research skills which have been valuable to my current positions. Most of all, I left this internship with a deeper appreciation of Global Glimpse and the hard work the team has put into making this program a success.”
Anderson Alleyne, Former Global Education Intern