NORTHEAST PROGRAMS MANAGER
ABOUT THE ROLE
We’re looking for serious pride in the New York City Tri-State Area and/or Western Massachusetts – someone with strong community knowledge, connections, and roots in one or both of these regions who cares deeply about equity, education, and creating opportunities for young people from all backgrounds to travel. This role will lead Global Glimpse programs in the greater New York City (NY) & Western Massachusetts (WM) regions promoting empathy, agency, and global perspective in diverse public high schools and supporting students to develop the skills they need to succeed in college and careers and drive change in their communities. You will recruit, train, and support a network of highly committed volunteer educators to nominate students that reflect the racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic diversity of our partner schools in the northeast, run effective virtual and in-person information sessions and global learning workshops, prepare students for immersive global travel and leadership programs, and support follow on alumni leadership programming This is an ideal role for an organized go-getter with a passion for education and travel to level up in leadership in a fast-paced environment.
YOUR OPPORTUNITY FOR IMPACT:
Be the face of Global Glimpse in the Northeast:
Work closely with public school teachers, educators, and administrators across the greater New York & Western Mass regions to support students from diverse socioeconomic, racial, and ethnic backgrounds to develop empathy, agency, and global perspective.
- Set the annual strategy and budget for Northeast programs in partnership with the executive team and oversee the full program lifecycle
- Lead trainings, workshops, information sessions, and summits that meet teachers, parents, and students where they are
- Maintain a diverse portfolio of strong partner schools and recruit new schools that align with our mission
- Oversee sustainable program revenue and payment administration that supports access, equity, and financial sustainability in the region
- Build and maintain strong relationships with community and education leaders across the NY/WM regions
- Manage and support our New York City Leadership Council (LC) of young professionals to drive network expansion and resource generation in the NY region
WHO WILL THRIVE IN THIS ROLE
We know that it takes more than hard skills to build a winning team. We are looking for teammates who bring diverse experiences, backgrounds, and perspectives and will contribute to our culture and bring strengths in the following areas to their work:
- Community Builder: You are a natural connector and you are adept at developing authentic relationships with all kinds of people. You have strong emotional intelligence.
- Expert Communicator: You communicate clearly and effectively, understanding who needs to know what, and adapting the message accordingly.
- Results Driven: You have strong business acumen and you show a sense of urgency in achieving your goal and hold yourself accountable to the outcomes you set for yourself. You hold yourself to unusually high standards, and that is reflected in the content you produce; you seek input from others to continually build your expertise.
- Highly Organized: You love organization and structure, you have impeccable skills in time management and follow-through, and you require minimal supervision. You thrive creatively when systems are in place to manage the basic tenets of your work and maximize efficiency.
- Growth Mindset: You have a growth mindset and model a culture of continuous improvement by seeking out feedback from others. You’re a problem-solver. You understand that everything has trade-offs and how to balance those when making bets and decisions.
- Excellent Judgement: You have an astute and attentive customer-first mentality, exercising discretion, and excellent judgment in handling sensitive issues, confidential information, and balancing competing priorities to reach organizational objectives.
- Dependable: Your team knows they can rely on you, and you do what you say you will do. You are present, you do your best, and you finish the job.
- Connected to our Mission: You have had experiences in your own life that drive your passion for Global Glimpse’s mission and vision.
OTHER IMPORTANT CHARACTERISTICS:
- Program management experience including experience managing staff and volunteers
- Knowledge of the K-12 education system
- Strong public speaking skills and comfortable speaking and facilitating in front of groups
- Experience with payment tracking, accounting, and budget management
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends (predetermined dates for presentations, trainings, and Alumni Summits)
- Comfortable with Google Suite (Gmail, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides)
A TYPICAL DAY IN THIS ROLE
You kick off a typical day by reviewing your calendar and ensuring you are prepared for internal and external meetings. You meet with the US Programs Team to review student recruitment goals, revenue goals, and student applications received to date. After that, you reach out to a group of New York teacher volunteers to check in on their student nominations and provide additional tips and recommendations for successful student recruitment. In the afternoon you meet with the chair and vice-chair of the New York Regional Leadership Council to discuss opportunities to increase member engagement and impact and plan for an upcoming meeting. You close the day by giving a presentation to students, parents, and teachers in a public high school in Brooklyn (or virtually). Every day is different in this dynamic role. You are connecting with team members across the US and supporting teachers in the NY/WM region, tracking program revenue, updating curriculum, training, and presentations, and hosting trainings, workshops, and summits.
Lead the next stage of growth and impact for Global Glimpse in the Northeast. Develop strategic relationships and partnerships that support our students and teachers to have the most powerful experience possible.
ABOUT GLOBAL GLIMPSE
Global Glimpse provides travel, leadership, and global learning opportunities to high school students from diverse backgrounds. Our programs develop empathy, agency, and global perspective, empowering a new generation of young leaders with the skills they need to succeed in college and careers and drive change in their communities.
We bring high school students from different racial, ethnic, socioeconomic, and geographic backgrounds together through shared experience, and since 2008 we have served over 7,500 students and 550 educators across 100 US high schools and provided over $13M in scholarships.
Our people are everything at Global Glimpse and we invest significant time, focus, and resources to building the best environment possible for our team to thrive and make an impact. At Global Glimpse you can expect to find a culture that reflects our values:
- Access & diversity are at the heart of our work
- We humbly strive for excellence
- We communicate with honesty & transparency
- We are growth-minded & solutions-oriented
- We are both mission-driven & business savvy
- Location: Global Glimpse has transitioned to a fully remote culture with staff across the country and around the world. This role must be based in the greater New York City metro area, Western Massachusetts, or Central Connecticut. New York City metro area is preferred.
- Travel Expectations: While we are in a fully remote work culture, in a typical year the Northeast Programs Manager can expect to have the following in-person commitments (many of them in the evening):
- 6 NYC Leadership Council meetings
- 12-20 NYC school presentations
- 2 NYC teacher trainings (weekends)
- 5 NYC ambassador summits (weekends)
- 8-12 WM school presentations
- 2 WM teacher trainings (weekends)
- 4 WM ambassador summits (weekends)
- 5-10 additional meetings, mostly in NYC
- Start Date: We are assessing applications as they arrive; ideal start date is October 2021
- Compensation: We are proud to provide a total compensation package that puts the person first, and can discuss in more detail once a candidate has applied. We have a comprehensive benefits package, learn more about our benefits here.
- Application process: Submit your resume online – no need to include a cover letter, we want to hear from you directly!
We spend time getting to know our applicants and ensuring that they have the opportunity to get to know our teams. We believe it’s important for applicants to connect with a range of team members and stakeholders so that they can get a well-rounded sense of who we are and how we work. Once resumes are received our applicant review process includes the following steps:
Global Glimpse is an equal opportunity employer. We believe our team should reflect, respect, and understand the diversity of backgrounds, identities, and experiences of the students and community partners that we serve. We know that a diverse team, informed by different cultures and perspectives, makes us stronger. Applicants who contribute to this diversity are strongly encouraged to apply.