Rather than rewrite the introductory post I wrote last year, let’s link it!
Now that we know each other, let’s talk about what I learned on my trip last year.
The goals of a Global Glimpse trip, from my experience are:
- send a diverse group of students to another country to grow as a group
- expose students to new cultures
- develop students as leaders through experience
- learn about sustainable community service via the community action project and tutoring
- give students a sense of their role in a global community
- reflect on and discuss complex political, cultural, and social questions
Chitre will be my fourth trip of this type (Nicaragua, Guatemala, Dominican Republic). Panama will be my thirty-second country visited since my trip to Nicaragua in 2009. While I don’t have one, I imagine each experience is like a tattoo: raw and vivid and permanent. What it means to you may change and fade over time, but it affects you long after it’s done. I suppose, travel-wise, I am like those people covered with tattoos who keep going back for more. I can understand why “don’t you have enough” would seem ridiculous.
See you at the airport!