Today we went to a local school to begin English tutoring; unfortunately we were unable to do so due to most students being on vacation. Soon after, we took a field trip to a local quinoa factory where we received a tour of the field and got an in-depth presentation on how the quinoa is processed and packaged. After coming back, we prepared for our CAP delivery where we presented our ideas to Cynthia Sánchez and her partner who worked for the Project of Integrated Development for the Elderly in San Juan. After our initial visit, as a group we decided to break our CAP into three projects. The first would be four to five murals that would represent the indigenous cultures of the area. Our second goal would be to improve the preexisting garden by adding shelves and planters on the wall. Our last project consists of creating a stationary bike that would aid in physical therapy. We hope to start on our projects soon!

During our presentation at the quinoa fields, we learned that the farmers were having to export over 90% of their product globally in order to maintain profits. Unfortunately, the remaining 10% is either kept for personal consumption or used towards next season’s planting. With quinoa being considered a superfood, its demand is rising and as farmers are choosing to export globally, local communities are unable to afford the high prices. Many of the Andean communities who relied on quinoa as a major part of their diet are being forced to turn to other food staples. We also learned about how climate change has been affecting farming patterns. Today has been a great learning opportunity for us Glimpsers!

As Líderes del Día today, we realized the impact we have as consumers on the local economy, and how we should research before buying. We should understand where and how the product is manufactured and how buying from them can impact communities around the world. We will definitely use what we took away from today and will keep it in mind when buying products!